David B. Katague is an online memoirist and cultural essayist whose writing has appeared on HubPages

Saturday, September 19, 2026

I Love Orchids- How About You? Gardenia Care!

I love orchids. I used to grow them in Fair Oaks, CA before my move here at THD. Today, I have only two orchids in my apartment, but I have a few in my photo collections as follows: 








Do You Have a Favorite? I love to hear from you...  If you love orchids, Join the FaceBook Group, Orchid Lovers...

I used to have an orchid Collection in My Garden at Chateau Du Mer, Marinduque, Philippines- Orchids in the Driveway of our Beach House in Boac, MRQ, Philippines


For More Orchids Photos of My Orchids Collection in Marinduque, visit: 

https://chateaudumer.blogspot.com/2011/05/recent-photos-of-orchids-in-gardens-of_17.html

 My Quotes for the Day: 

   “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”

Mahatma Gandhi

 

“Face your life, its pain, its pleasure, leave no path untaken.”

Neil Gaiman

 

Finally, My next door neighbor, Sandi G gave me a gardenia plant. She told me I have to give her the first bloom as a return. I told Sandi what If I kill it? Here's the photo of the beautiful and healthy Gardenia. Thanks a million Sandi. I will do my best not to kill it. Right now I am trying to see which part of the apartment or perhaps out side in my patio the plant will thrive and hopefully blooms profusely soon.  I know it needs filter sun. 

Gardenias require acidic soil, bright indirect or filtered sunlight, and consistent moisture to thrive.
Here are the key cultural requirements for growing healthy gardenias:
Light Requirements
  • Outdoors: Plant in Gardenia.net partial sun or light shade, ideally receiving 4 to 6 hours of morning sun followed by protected afternoon shade.
  • Indoors: Place in a very bright spot with filtered sunlight, avoiding harsh direct rays that can scorch the leaves. 
Soil and pH
  • pH Level: Requires a strongly acidic soil with a pH between 5.0 and 6.5. Alkaline soil causes iron deficiency and yellowing leaves (chlorosis).
  • Composition: Must be rich in organic matter (like compost or peat moss) and drain very well to prevent root rot. 
Water and Humidity
  • Moisture: Keep the soil evenly moist at all times, but never soggy or waterlogged.
  • Humidity: They love high humidity (50% or higher). Mist ambient air or set potted plants on a pebble tray filled with water.
Temperature
  • Sweet Spot: Prefer daytime temperatures between 60°F and 75°F and cooler nights around 60°F to 62°F.
  • Hardiness: Most varieties are hardy outdoors only in USDA Zones 8–11 and cannot tolerate hard freezes below 15°F.
Fertilization and Pruning
  • Feeding: Use a specialized fertilizer formulated for Southern Living Plants acid-loving plants during the active growing season in spring and mid-summer.
  • Pruning: Shape or prune the shrub immediately after the primary bloom cycle finishes in mid-summer.   

Happy Saturday, EveryOne! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...