Sunday, November 5, 2017

Sometimes, It is Better to Give than Receive

The first three in the list are my donations and the last one is from my mother, Paz Barrido Balleza Katague( Deceased)

The DONOR WALL OF GRATITUDE

1. Money: Last May 7, 2014, Renan del Rosario, 1977 chemistry graduate and currently one of the advisers of the University of the Philippines Chemistry Alumni Foundation (UPCAF) treated me with a personal tour of the new Institute of Chemistry Teaching Building at the UP Diliman National Science Complex. It was one of the highlights of my 90-day snow birding sojourn in the Philippines three years ago. I was able to take photographs of the Donor Wall which included my name(see photo above). The Donor Wall is right at the entrance of the teaching building just by the side of the guard podium. That day reminded me of my student and teaching days (1952 to 1959) at the College of Chemistry now known as the Institute of Chemistry. I was only 24 years old when I first taught chemistry to pre-medical, nursing, and engineering students in the Fall of 1957.

Currently, I am a Life Member of the University of the Philippines Chemistry Alumni Foundation. I graduated from UP with a B.S. Chemistry degree in 1955. Immediately after graduation, I was appointed Assistant Instructor in Chemistry in my Alma Mater. A year later after I passed the National Chemistry Board Examination coping 3rd place, I was appointed to Instructor and held that position until 1959 when I decided to pursue graduate work in the United States.


The construction of a National Science Complex in Diliman, Quezon City started a few years ago which included a new Teaching Building for Chemistry. The first phase of government Funding was 200 million pesos and the second phase was 118 million pesos.

In the Fall of 2013, I had the opportunity to visit the construction site through the kindness of Renan Del Rosario, the Chairman of the UPCAF Board of Trustees that year. Fund raisings for furniture in the new building were undergoing also that year. That year, I also donated to the Foundation 10,000 pesos ( about $200) through Renan. I felt good about that donation. It was my way of saying thank you for the educational benefits that I had received from the University of the Philippines.( See my name listed in the Donor Wall in the above photo).


2. Property: Sometime in the middle of May, 1990, I donated several volumes of technical journals from the duplicate copies from Stauffer Chemical library that were about to be burned and discarded. I was able to salvage several volumes of hard bound copies of Journal of Chromatography, 1971-1976. Also included in my donation were dozens of volumes of hardbound copies of BioChemistry ,1969-1984. The value of the donation was about $1500. Shipping was arranged through the Commission on Filipinos Overseas ( CFO). On May 23, 1990, I received a thank you letter from Alfredo Perdon, Executive Director of CFO,as follows:

Dear Dr. Katague:

The Commission on Filipino Overseas acknowledge with thanks the donation of five boxes of technical journals to the Institute of Chemistry, University of the Philippines.

Your donation is a manifestation of the willingness of Filipino overseas to be actively involved in the development efforts of the country. Such participation through the Commission's “ Lingkod sa Kapwa Pilipino” or “ Linkapil” likewise serves to strengthen the linkages between Filipinos overseas and their countrymen.

Needless to say, these books will be a most welcome addition to the journal collection of the UP College of Science Library and will certainly be useful to the thousands of students in the said university. Best Regards and thanks you again for your donation.”


3. Time and Expertise: In January, 1986, I participated in the United Nations Development Program at the University of the Philippines in Diliman. The program was for two weeks of consultancy ( lecture and management of research) at the U.P. Natural Sciences Research Institute( NSRI). My round trip fare was paid by UN and I also received a substantial amount of per diem during my consultancy period of two weeks. It was satisfying to give at least two weeks of my "Know-how" to my Alma Mater. The program at that time was called TOKTEN ( Transfer of Knowledge through Expatriate Nationals). Today, it is called Balik scientist program. The program helps in the alleviation of "Brain Drain" from 3rd world countries like the Philippines. This experience made me feel good, because I have given back to my alma mater, even just two weeks of my time in the field of pesticide research and analytical residues method development.


4. Property: In the early 1950's my mother Paz Balleza Katague donated a piece of land (about 15,000 sq.meters) for the Barotac Viejo National High School, Iloilo, Philippines. The photo above is my sister (Amor Gregorio) and me posing in front of the sign at entrance of the school listing the names of the Donors. The biggest lot was from my uncle, Jose Balleza, older brother of my mother.

Note: I did not include in this blog my wife and my involvement( giving up time, expertise, and funds) with the Marinduque International, Inc. Medical and Dental Missions to the Philippines for almost a decade, because I have already documented it in my Hubpages.com hub as follows: https://hubpages.com/politics/medical-mission-of-love-to-marinduque.

For future medical missions read the MI, Inc website or visit the FaceBook page of its current President, Agnes Lardizabal Apeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...