Friday, October 25, 2013
Chapter 14: Golden Wedding Impressions
Altar of the Boac Cathedral and Group Wedding Picture
Last December, 2007 we celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary at the Boac Cathedral ( the same church where we were married in 1957) in Boac, Marinduque, Philippines. All of our four children and three of our grandchildren, a son-in-law and two nieces from the United States were in attendance. In addition about 150 friends and relatives from Manila and Marinduque were also present. A friend from Vancouver, B.C., Canada also attended this memorable event.
The Bishop Blessings
The Bishop of Boac( Most Reverend Reynaldo Evangelista, D.D.) officiated the renewal of vows and mass. The Governor( Bong Carrion) and his wife with about 150 guests attended the reception held at our conference hall( Chateau Du Mer Conference Center)
Entering the Reception Hall with 100 live butterflies to be release after the cake cutting and champagne toasting ceremony.
Sister Guia and Bing Carrion on the background.
The governor dancing with Macrine and me dancing with his wife.
Incidentally, Governor Carrion is Macrine's first cousin on her maternal side of the family(The Nieva Clan). This is an obligatory dance for social etiquette in Marinduque.
Carenna wants her share of the wedding cake. After all she serenaded her Lolo and Lola. She deserves the cake.
The following is a write-up of my daughter experiences. She titled it " Survivor Philippines and my Parents Golden Wedding Anniversary.
Ditas and Carenna on their way to Marinduque for the Golden wedding Anniversary Celebration.
" Resembling the journey survivor contestants make to get to their island, after 47 hours of travel -planes, trains, automobiles and a long ferry ride-- Carenna and I finally arrived on the peaceful island of Marinduque. Staying at my parents winter home and resort, www.chateaudumer.com , we were joined by all my siblings, brother-in-law Dave, nephew Ian, niece Elaine, and first cousins, Ella and Lanie and Alex ( Lanie's S.O. and Carenna's personal "bee killer"). It was quite an experience getting there and being there." Here are the 12 memorable things about the Philippines during my trip:
Carenna (Age 5) at Her Kindergarten Graduation
1 One Great performance- Carenna sings "New World" at the Anniversary reception
2. Two Happily married parents ( renewed vows after 50 years)
3. Three Hours of holding Carenna (50 lbs), sweating during midnight mass in an ancient (no A/C) cathedral built in 1660 with 1000+ mass attendees( imagine survivor LOG HOLD challenge)
4. Four Roasted Pigs -aka Lechon . Carenna got to meet the live pigs the day before they appeared at the party ( albeit with tan).
David Ernst after all of the four lechons are almost consumed.
5. Five guys eating balut- Ian, Dave, Alex, Dodie and David E had a Christmas day Balut eating contest-- yes that's the fertilized duck embryo boiled eggs that they eat in Survivor and Fear Factor TV shows
Balut and San Miguel beer. Where's number 5, David E ?
6. Six aquamarine bridesmaid dresses that did not fit
7. Seven words in tagalog that Carenna knows, ( Tabi po Nono', tubig, paroparo, salamat po, maganda and Kain na)
8. Eight bouts of prickly heat-poor Carenna
9. Nine hours of marathon shopping in Metro Manila with Cousin Cindy Nieva ( professional shopper)
10. Ten asthma attacks in Manila-not known for air quality
11. Eleven types of rice cakes ( 11 hour hangover for Ella)
12. Twelve of us crammed in a van during the round Marinduque Island Tour
Yes, at that time there was no air transportation available from Manila to Marinduque. Air transportation from Manila and Marinduque by Zest Air was resumed October, 2008.
Ditas and husband, Nick Thompson
Note: Ditas is my youngest daughter. She has B.A degree ( double major) in Communications and Art from UC Berkeley, CA. She has also a M.A degree from the University of Southern California on Inter Governmental Studies. She is married to Nick Thompson of Sacramento. Currently, she is Director of Census, 2010, The State of California.
The Governor in one of the Outreach meetings with Ditas and Guest, Sacramento, August, 27, 2009
Ditas Staff with the Governor