Friday, October 25, 2013

Chapter 12: Life After Retirement


Macrine welcoming medical missioners from Manila in Cawit Port, 2004


Patients waiting in Santa Cruz, Medical Mission, 2007

On October 31, 2002, I decided to retire from FDA. The next day the movers packed our things including two cars and about 500 boxes of our household goods. Macrine and I have decided that we will retire in the Sacramento area to be near our youngest daughter.
At first, I feel I have lost my identity as an individual and miss the interaction with my fellow workers and have lost my contribution to society. However, within a few weeks all these feelings were gone. It started when my wife and I started baby sitting one of our grandchildren. As some economics professor states: "Your children are your capital investments, but your grandchildren are your profits. That is why you love your grandchildren more than your children". Indeed, I really agree with the statement.
Retirement also gives me lots of time to do things that I like ,such as reading and playing computer games. I also turned my hobby of gardening and landscaping into a small business in the Philippines. Macrine and I planned this endeavor about five years before my retirement date. That year my wife and I started construction of our retirement home in Boac, Marinduque, Philippines. The next year we built a beach house, followed by a Conference Hall, two years later. Needless to say, planning and executing the landscaping was a challenge and very enjoyable. With the help of local labor, I not only enjoy the time gardening and landscaping, but also help improved the economic situation of the province by providing work and jobs to the local residents.
With plenty of time, I engaged into two other specific activities. First, I created a website for my small business. By trial and error, I created and design the website, www.chateaudumer.com I have never been a computer nerd or expert. But with plenty of time and patience, the fruits of my labor could be enjoyed if you visit the website above. Just recently, I discovered the joys of blogging. I started blogging in May this year. I have now seven blog sites on several topics, mostly on the beauty of the islands of Marinduque, retiring in the Philippines, doing business in the Philippines as well as personal experiences of living abroad, childhood memories of the Japanese-American War and other current topics and news of the day. Yong Nieva ( Macrine's first cousin)and I have a joint literary project compiling articles " Why we love Marinduque". For details, visit the blog site, http://marinduqueonmymind.blogspot.com. "I Left My Heart in Marinduque" You are invited to submit an article if you wish.

My seven other blog sites are
http://whyretireinthephilippines.blogspot.com
http://marinduquemyislandparadise.blogspot.com

http://marinduqueawaitsyou.blogspot.com
http://chateaudumer.blogspot.com
http://lifeinus1960present.blogspot.com
http://theintellectualmigrant.blogspot.com
http://planningtovisitthephilippines.blogspot.com


The second activity , I have not done before was to utilize on-line activities, such as shopping, paying bills ( save you stamps) and playing computer games in the internet. I really enjoyed playing duplicate bridge on line. You play with players all over the world and can chat in between games. But be careful, you are not spending too much time in the computer. It could be very addictive.
With a lots of time, my wife and I devoted more time on our favorite humanitarian project. For the last twelve years, we have been involved with medical mission to the province of Marinduque.

Macrine Inducted as President of Marinduque International,Inc., 2003-2005
Macrine was elected President of Marinduque International, Inc from 2003 to 2005. She was in charged of the February 7-14, 2004 Medical Mission. On June 2, 2005, she received a letter of thanks from Governor Carmencita Reyes as follows:

Mrs Macrine Jambalos Katague
President, MI, Inc
Fair Oaks, California 95628

Dear Mrs Katague,
Warmest Marinduque Greetings!
I would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude for all the assistances extended by Marinduque International, Inc. Your association is one of our full-time partners in the delivery of health services particularly in the conduct of medical/surgical missions which benefited hundreds of Marinduquenos.
May we again invite you to spearhead a medical/surgical mission this coming February, 2006. We appreciate your concern to the health welfare of our province mates. Through these missions we are able to provide total health services to our constituents.
Thank You so much for the support and assistance extended to our administration and to the people of Marinduque.

Mabuhay Kayo!

Very truly yours,
(Signature)
Carmencita Reyes
Governor

For details of these humanitarian project please visit the website: www.marinduqueinternational.org


Marinduque International, Inc. Seal and Logo

The joy one gets on retirement is very specific for an individual. Some enjoy their free time by learning new activities, getting involved with humanitarian projects or spending more time with their grandchildren. Others hate it, since they missed their former jobs and co-workers. Others with no children still enjoy retirement by traveling, turning their hobbies into business or more community involvement. Of course those that retire and hate it, is believe to die earlier than those that enjoy their retirement years. So, plan your retirement as early as you can. The happier you are on retirement, the longer you will live.
David E with Macrine and Tiny Gregorio my niece. Tiny is the first MD in the Katague clan. She is the oldest daughter of Amor, my youngest sister from Iloilo. Photo was taken at Sapinit Hill, Buenavista during Tiny's visit to Marinduque in 1998.
Today we spent six months out of the year in Marinduque and six months here in US.
When we are in Marinduque, our second son David E. takes care of the yard, swimming pool and also the house here in Northern California. David is single and currently works for the Federal Government (TSA) in Sacramento. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Economics from UC Davis and a Masters of Science degree in Public Management and Policy with concentration on Information Systems from Carnegie Mellon University. He used to work for the Office of Management and Budget(OMB) in Washington DC during the Clinton and Gore Administration. During the time of his employment with OMB we received annual Christmas cards from the White House as well as special invitations to special events such as the Easter Egg Hunting in the lawn of the White House and Parties for OMB employees. David E is learning how to speak Tagalog. During our 50th wedding anniversary party in 2007, he addressed the guests in Tagalog and made a good impression. His Tagalog is improving but still has the American accent. Macrine and I are proud of his desire to learn the language of his ancestry. Without David's help, we will never be able to enjoy staying in our island paradise in the Philippines for as long as we desire.

Our friends called us "snow birds", because when the winter weather starts here in United States, we fly to the our island paradise in the Philippines where the weather is cool and dry. When the weather in the Philippines becomes hot and humid, we fly back to the States when it is spring time. If you are envious or jealous of our life style, we do understand, because most of our friends and contemporaries are!

The Wedding of Our Youngest Daughter Just After My Retirement
From Left to Right: David E, Dinah, Ian King, David King, Elaine King, Randy Thompson, Nick Thompson(Groom), Ditas(Bride), Macrine, David B( me), Alix, Marina, Philip, Ruth Carver and Dodie Katague. In the inset is my Pangga, Carenna Thompson. Of course, Carenna was born 12 months after the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...