Friday, December 9, 2022

Mahjong as Part Socialization and Gambling Activity for Filipino Americans


In my latest article/posting, I discussed some tips to consider when purchasing an automatic mahjong table. This was inspired when when my Pinay Home Care Aide informed me that every month as part of her entertainment, she plays automatic mahjong in the residence of a friend ( another retired Pinay) a few minutes away from my house. This activity is also part socialization and part gambling. The last time she played she lost $200 after playing for 8 hours. I advise her to adhere to a monthly budget for this activity.

This incident reminded me of my younger years in the Philippines. At that time automatic mahjong tables had not been invented/manufactured. But playing mahjong in people's private residences as a gambling activity was  a very popular activity as there are no public parlors for gambling at that time. 

My aide information on this activity did not surprised me. Knowing that mahjong could be addictive I now believe that this is becoming popular in Filipino-American Homes specially for Seniors and Retirees here in the US. 

The host of this mahjong parties may make a little money from the TONGs ( contributions/payment/donation)  from patrons of the game. During my childhood years in the Philippines, I remember that the tongs varies from 5 to 10% of the winnings of the player per game. Here in Sacramento my aide informed me that the tongs is calculated based on the amount of the winnings of the player and a little bit complicated depending on the complexity of the game won.

Part of the TONGS is spent for the food and drinks provided by the Host to the Players. The rest of the tongs is income for the host. My aide informed me that her friend hosted automatic mahjong games three times a week from 11AM to 9PM. A few of the mahjong players have jobs, so scheduling is flexible. Bets are as low starting at $2/4 per game or as high as your budget allows. 

Here are more tips if you are really serious in buying an automatic mahjong table.

An Automatic Mahjong Table works by using magnetism. The table contains 4 powerful magnets which influence the magnets inside of the Mahjong tiles. By using magnetism we can establish which side of the tile will be facing up. This is accomplished by installing the magnets inside the tiles with their poles facing in the same direction of the magnets inside of the table. This will cause the magnets to repel and turn onto the side where the tile numbers are not seen. We also use the magnets to load the tiles onto a small conveyor belt to be distributed to each wall. We then use sensors to count how many tiles will load onto each wall and distribute the remaining tiles to the other walls where needed. This process is repeated every time a new game is played.

https://versatilemachinery.com/automatic-mahjong-table-faq/

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...