Sunday, October 29, 2017

Napoleon Abueva-A Famous Living Contemporary


I first met Napoleon Abueva when he was a young Instructor in the College of Fine Arts, University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Philippines in the mid 1950's. At that time I was also an Instructor in Chemistry at the College of Liberal Arts. I believe he was also a member of UPSCA( University of the Philippines Student Catholic Action) at that time. The above picture is how he looks as I remember him. Today he is 87 years old -only four years older than me.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Abueva).

The following is an e-mail from Dr. Joel Cuello- President of PAASE ( Philippine-American Academy of Science & Engineering) summarizing Mr. Abueva's accomplishment as National Artist( Sculpture) of the Philippines.

One of the many sculptures of Abueva that I really enjoy and love.

Here's the E-mail that I received today:

Dear Paase Member:

The transcendent artistry and astounding range of Napoleon Abueva's body of work simply cannot be denied. I surely hope to see more of his sculptures, photos shown in this link, when I visit the PH:

https://www.google.com/search?q=napoleon+abueva&rlz=1C1BLWB_enUS560&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=lca1VSF81AHU7M%253A%252COq0UO1YLdz4OoM%252C_&usg=__inMVfTAtdPXIBWmXYEKPjWuGEOk%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_0LbgwpXXAhXpqlQKHT98AJ8Q_h0IhwEwDA#imgrc=xmt7ycgg57mTOM:

At 87, Abueva is now indeed a lion in winter. I sincerely hope that there are rising young Filipino sculptors today possessed of Abueva's artistic sensibility, instinctively deep understanding of Filipino myths and history, and his utter conviction and audacity.

http://bluprint.ph/napoleon-abueva-house-studio/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...