Monday, May 22, 2017

The Art of Flower Arrangement-Ikebana

I am very proud of this Creation!

My Flower Arrangement Creation with two 60th Anniversary Décor.

Last year, I started reading about Ikebana- the ancient Japanese art of flower arranging. Last week when my sister from Maryland visited us , the first thing she saw was the flower arrangement in our breakfast table( see above photos). She commented it was beautiful and looks as if it was a commercial creation. I told her I did the arrangement myself with flowers in my garden. The only materials I purchased were the 3-piece bamboo, the foam, the rectangular flower based and the two artificial butterflies. The sea shells, Nandina( Heavenly Bamboo plant) leaves and flowers as well as the red floribunda roses are from my garden. So what is Ikebana?

Ikebana is the ancient Japanese art of flower arranging. The name comes from the Japanese ike, meaning ‘alive’ or ‘arrange’ and bana meaning ‘flower.’ The practice of using flowers as offerings in temples originated in the seventh century when Buddhism was first introduced to Japan from China and Korea, but the formalized version of Ikebana didn’t begin until the Muromachi period around the 15th or 16th century. These arrangements have since become more secular, displayed as art forms in people’s homes. However, Ikebana is seen as more than just decorative, it is a spiritual process that helps one develop a closeness with nature and merge the indoors and outdoors. For more details read the following:

https://www.ftd.com/blog/design/ikebana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...