Friday, November 29, 2013

My Wife's Recipe for Chicken-Macaroni Salad


Yesterday at the Thanksgiving dinner in Walnut Creek at my son's residence and every party in the David B Katague household, my wife always prepares Chicken Macaroni salad. The recipe is a favorite of my four adult children and six grand children who all grew up here in the US. There are several Chicken Macaroni salad recipes that I know of but this one is the simplest one.

16 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
1 lb boneless chicken breast, boiled and cubed
1 ½ cup pineapple chunks
1 cup Spanish, sweet onion
1 cup raisins( optional)(sweetened and dried cranberries may be used)
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped( optional)
2 cups mayonnaise (can be 1 cup mayo and 1 cup miracle whip)
1 ½ cup Cheddar cheese, cubed
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 apples chopped into small cubes

Cooking Preparation:

Cook the macaroni as directed in the package. Place the macaroni in a large container. Add the mayonnaise (and /or miracle whip) and mix well. Put-in the minced onions and mix well. Place the cheddar cheese in and mix again
Now, add the chicken and distribute evenly. Put-in the pineapple chunks, boiled eggs(optional), and and apples (raisins optional) and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill inside the refrigerator for about an hour. Serve chilled.

Note: The popular Pinoy recipe has raisins but no apples. I love raisins, but my wife hates it. So in this recipe, I listed raisins as optional. Apples in the Philippines is very expensive. Another option that I enjoy is to use sweetened dried cranberries instead of raisins. Here in the US, the dried and sweetened cranberries are more expensive than the raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...